Monday, September 24, 2012

Painting is Dead Because


Painting is dead

because painting stops my body.

because painting ask us to see more in ourselves than what is in front of us.

because painting asks for contemplation, which has been removed from our times.

because words are not given and it is up to you (and only you) to find them (if you would like to).

because it is time-consuming.

because I am more anxious to take a photo of a painting than to be in its presence.

because I am bored with myself.

because I am bored with others.

because I’d rather be texting.

because painting is not like Las Vegas.

because what is old is useless.

because Picasso has died.

because everybody keeps talking about him.

because I can’t get a job.

because I need alliances.

because there is really no way be objective.

because I will end up teaching painting, if I am lucky, to kids who, if they are lucky, will spend their time teaching painting to kids that will…

because I need an ego.

because painting is too much like knowing myself.

because painting is intimate.

because is it beautiful and it could cause me to cry.

because we are scared to make no sense.

because we need approval.

because there is enough paintings in the world.

because my child can do a better job.

because pink is the new black.

because I have Photoshop.

because engineers are the painters of our times.

because in my mind the euphoria over a new Caravaggio at the late 1500s was like the euphoria over an iphone today.

because I never know what to say in studio visits.

because what would Roberta Smith write about?

because I might be dead (and dreaming).

because oil paint could give you cancer.

because I need to validate painting by using uncommon materials so there is something new to this old thing.

because painting is also sculpture that is also a video that is also a collage that is also…

because Greenburg would approve.

because I need to deconstruct painting

because painting is.

1 comment:

  1. Here lies Painting, Born 40,000 BCE, Died 2012 CE, You gave it a good try, Painting, R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete