Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Shape of Things



1. A reality TV show
Promotional poster for Face Off, a reality-competition TV show featuring complete
 face/body transformations through prosthetics and make-up, 2011. 

2. A photograph I took in undergrad

Adair Stephens, Other no. 1, Gelatin silver print, 2008.

3. A recent painting
Bruna Massadas, Mother of All, Acrylic on canvas, 2012, 42 x 54 in.

4. A music video
Cropped still from the music video for "Rio" by Duran Duran, directed by Russell Mulcahy, 1982.

5. An older painting
Henri Matisse, Femme au chapeau (Woman with a Hat), Oil on canvas, 1905, 31 1/4 x 23 1/2 in.

6. A play and movie
Movie poster for The Shape of Things, a play (2001) and movie (2003)
written and directed by Neil LaBute in which a woman slowly and secretly
 "sculpts" a man by convincing him to alter his appearance and personality.

1 comment:

  1. This is so strange. You post the poster of the image of "face off" the same day I post one of my art pieces that uses that same image. I found the image in the NY Times and really liked it. I have always been fascinated with faces - used them in my grad school work for my thesis show. I used fashion faces that had a blank, expressionless stare and, looking back, they had a mask like quality. Recently I saw the sketch for Matisse's woman with the green stripe at a collection of art in Hamilton, TX (of all places) in the Ramsey Collection. I chose it as my favorite piece of art in his collection even though it was a sketch. I have always loved that art work because it represents the first art style that really appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete